Guildleader chores - Why would you recruit another tank Navi?

In my hunt for healers I have been browsing forums twice a day looking for people that I think would like it here.  Most of the ones I see are looking for raiding, serious raiding, and I'm not sure if that's the kind of person I am looking for. Guilds which are harder core than us would happily snap up some of these people, but when I read their forum posts, I see "I am looking for a raid team at these times" and I know these people are only here to raid, and will very rapidly jump ship to another place if the raiding boat starts to sink.

Not what I'm looking for at all. I want someone who enjoys the game who would like to play and likes to raid but it's not their end all be all, and is interested in a long term home with friendly mature people.

So there was a guardian druid on horde side Saurfang who was 9/10N BRF.  He seemed to be looking for a more casual and relaxed guild, and I decided it couldn't hurt to have a chat to him, and though his druid wasn't online, I went to WoWProgress to check out some of his other alts, which WERE online.  I sent him a message saying I would like to talk and he waited for me to come out of my arena so I could chat.

I was curious about a lot of things.  How long had he been on Saurfang? Why was he leaving the guild? How long had he been in this guild? Where was he before that?

He had always been on Saurfang, was Alliance and then switched to Horde.  He also told me he had been in three or four guilds in the last year, and immediately I thought OMG he's a guild hopper. I wasn't interested in recruiting a guidl hopper and I told him that, but he said to me that he had left the guilds because he just didn't find them a comfortable fit. He'd had a guild that he felt happy in a couple of years ago but they broke up and since then hadn't found the same vibe since. He also told me that he recently was troubled with visual problems and was waiting for glasses but he was having difficulty seeing the screen, and his raid leader and co-tank had berated him heavily over it and he'd had enough of that, which was his reason for leaving his current guild.

So I went back to WoWProgress and was surprised to see that he was in Illidari Remnants/Omega as the first guild as Horde!  Immediately I was talking to Nath, asking him if he knew this guy.  Nath said yes he knew him, he seemed like a nice guy but had been yelled at by their GM/other tank a few times for being a bit slow on the pickup.  But he said he would recommend him.

"Why do you want to recruit ME?" asked Antpugga.  He had asked me if I needed a tank and I said I did not.  So I told him, that what I was really interested in acquiring was nice people who would fit into our guild.  People who were looking for a home where they could enjoy the game and also enjoy a bit of raiding too!  We love to raid but it's not the only thing our guild does, and we cater for the serious and the casual player but the most important thing was that we try to make a good environment for people to be able to do what they would like.  I also told him that I would not force him to play other specs, because what I care about is what he likes to play, and he could happily tank on the weekends if Arelion got sick of it or even a backup tank for weekdays.  However, we didn't need another tank for weekdays so he would be stuck doing normals on the weekend but if he did DPS then he would be welcome to come and see how he goes on heroic if things worked out.

Ant seemed really happy with that and wanted to join right away, but I asked him if he wanted to just come along on Sunday first to see how it was, and he said no, if Nath and Jazz are there, he would be happy to catch up with them again.  I whispered Nath, and asked him if he thought Ant would like it here.  Nath replied "Why wouldn't he? :D"

So that was that.  I invited Antpugga to the guild and his army of high level alts, and brought him along to our Sunday raid to tank with Bleidd, who hadn't done any of the BRF fights before!  They did quite well and we had a bit of issue with Thogar, but I made Aimei switch over to tank and it was better.  So we did 4 bosses on Sunday with the casuals and alts, and that wasn't too bad.  Ant had a tough job of teaching Bleidd but he did it with aplomb and I was quite pleased with his attitude.  He told me he was happy to be a sub for heroic raiding but he wasn't really fussed about it, but I think if he DPS'd he could find a spot.  Unfortunately, he hates DPS!  Kyjenn thought that was amusing.  "Well, that wouldn't be that different from our GM!" he said on Vent. Oh HA HA.

So a big welcome to Antpugga to our little family.  I hope he likes it here, and so far, he seems to be fitting in fairly well. We all had a giggle about his visual difficulties and joked about sitting on the far side of the room away from his monitor to be able to see things (since he was long sighted).  He told a few dad jokes (groan) and overall he reminded me of Sabrehawk, just the way he spoke and his relaxed attitude.  At least we could use him for our 3 tank fights, right, whilst Arelion is away!

Comments