Hearthstone: Noobishness with Northshire clerics and Circle of healing

I admit I'm a little lazy when it comes to making decks.  I like looking at what others are using and trying it out for myself.  I've been coming up against a few priests lately and they were using cards I don't normally use so I wanted to give it a go. So I saw this Priest Deck and decided to try it out, because for once I had all the cards listed in it.
So I played my first hand with it in ranked play to give it a whirl.  I came up against a druid, and we started the match out with me putting out a Northshire Cleric first and he waied, then I put out an Ancient watcher, thinking I would put a Sunfury protector out next.  I was trying to clear his minions, and I thought I would use some of these cards I had never used before (and should READ carefully before I use them).  So I put the Wild Pyromancer down, and thought, ok what spell should I put out.  Oh, look here is a Circle of Healing, that costs 0 mana, I'll use that.  Now I've never used that card in my priest decks before and I should READ before I put it out...

"Restore 4 health to ALL minions"

Yes, that is the enemies minions as well.  So I did one pissy little damage because of Wild Pyromancer's "Deal one damage to all minions after you cast a spell" and then healed them all back up.  And THEN I forgot I had Northshire Cleric still active so healing up my 3 minions and his 2 meant I suddenly got 5 cards into my hand... and my hand GOT VERY FULL.  And stupid me kept healing my Ancient watcher and pulle din more cards... and of course when your hand gets full, your cards go POOF.  So what did I draw?  Yep, my legendaries got drawn and went poof - I was very sad to see Cairne and Ragnaros go!  We were down to the last turn - I think I was on 9 health and he was on 11 - and I had a lucky draw, with a Holy Fire and Ironbeak owl in my hand (to silence my Ancient watcher) and I killed the other guy with my minions and holy fire ... but it was such a poor play on my part, that I was really embarrassed!!!  Ah well, you live and learn...

I'm sure Dahakha would be telling me off right about now... about how lazy I am...

Comments

  1. Yeah, that circle of healing is fun, but try it with a Auchenai Soulpriest and toss that silly Wild Pyromancer to the curb. Of course, then you damage ALL minions... Kinda like a warlock :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't quite got my head around this hand yet, so when I figure out how NOT to play like an idiot, I will start rearranging - thanks for the tips though! Oh and I am STILL not used to suddenly going shadow as a priest.. seems SO WEIRD

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize you played hearthstone that much to have two of the best legendaries. I got a late start with hearthstone so that puts me behind most people in the number of cards I have to choose from. I can't really look at decks and try them because chances are I don't have 70% of the cards in them, but I do try and watch some of the interesting combos people come up with so that I can learn some of the not so obvious ways you can combo things for arenas where I get to play with all the cards that I don't actually own myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the Rag, and the Cairne was a lucky pack! I do like Ragnaros it's a scary card if it doesn't get cc'd! I know when I see it on my opponents side my heart sinks!

      Delete
  3. lol, also be careful of those clerics with priest vs priest match-ups. Whenever I see a priest with 2 of those clerics out I like to throw down my pyro- and coh just to make them burn though their deck. And I love Wild Pyro, he can be really helpful with getting rid of cards that are just a little bit out of range with your other spells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a cool idea to push them into running out of cards! It's happened to me before!

      Delete
  4. Hell no, I'm just laughing my arse off imagining the look on your face when you realise you hadn't read the card properly, then realised that it actually made a super sweet combo (card draw is VERY good!) and then panicking when your legendaries got vapourised!

    It took me a few encounters to realise what those ALL minions cards mean - it doesn't seem to sink in until you see it in action and go "whoa, that's cool/bad".

    Priests are fun to play. I built a deck that was just all about copying their cards and taking control of their minions. It only worked about half the time but man it is fun to beat them up with their own deck!

    Your CoH/Wild Pyromancer combo is one of the frustrations I have with the game. Usually when I use WP (with, say, Moonfire) the spell resolves, and then the WP triggers, dealing damage to all minions. But obviously some spells like CoH resolve AFTER the WP does his damage. It is inconsistent and poor design, since you now have to remember which spells happen before and which after WP's trigger.

    I'm glad you're having fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to master these control decks! I can't sit there playing aggro decks all the time... I tell you, it makes me feel like a DPSer in raid, who just hits stuff and doesn't really think about healing or tanking mechanics! And yes, I can imagine you laughing your arse off at me squealing in horror at my cards going into the nether!

      Delete
    2. There are lots of funny combos in the game. That's one of the reasons I try and watch the funny or lucky moments youtube videos is to learn some of the combos I'd never have thought of. One of the older videos showed a paladin going to -1 health before being healed back to positive and surviving so maybe they always do damage spells before healing?

      Delete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(